Wednesday, July 30, 2008

New Moon- A Great Sequel to a Great Book

Bibliography: Meyer, S. (2006). New moon. Little, Brown & Company, 563 pp.

In Stephanie Meyer's second of four books in the Twilight series, she once again follows Bella Swan and her love affair with a vampire. In this book, she discovers a new friendship with Jacob Black, a long time friend of her family, and makes new discoveries about him and his motives behind wanting so badly to protect her from Edward. Young female readers will love this action-packed sequel, as they become closer to Bella and fall even deeper in love with Edward Cullen. Or maybe even Jacob Black...

In this novel, Meyer introduces the idea of werewolves into her series, which seems to make the plot fly by even more quickly than before. The reader learns more about Jacob, Bella's best friend, as she spends more time with him while Edward is gone. I think that this would be a great addition to any teacher's book shelf, and I would especially recommend this work to anyone who loved the first one. It addresses the issue of prejudice in a way that the first book never did, so it might be a good idea to really talk to younger readers who have chosen this novel. I would probably recommend it to anyone who wants an action-packed romance, and I think it would be appropriate for ages eighth grade and up.

I absolutely loved this book. Once I had read Twilight, I knew I was hooked on the series, and now I'm glad that I am. I like to see the characters and try to predict what they will do next, even though many times in this series I'm completely wrong. I think this is a good book, and I will definitely be suggesting it to friends.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Okay, so I'm thinking I really need to get on the bandwagon here. With practically EVERYONE in class reading this series, I can't get left behind. I'm glad you think the second is as good as the first...you know what "they" say about sequels. Thanks for the review.